Monday, September 23, 2013

1940 Philco Console Radio

When I was 12-13 years old, I tinkered with old radios and TVs (just before my ham radio days). People would just give them to me to get them off their hands. My greatest find was a 1940 Philco console like the one at the right. I had already seen a few other lesser consoles from that era. I liked them for the shortwave radio bands that they all seemed to include. This Philco had really cool thumbwheel tuning and volume controls and this model had dual tuning eyes although I don't see them in this picture. Most all these models had 10" speakers and sounded pretty good, except for the hum. They had speakers with electromagnets for the driver magnet. The electromagnet was powered because it was also the power supply choke for the B+. You can imagine the 120 Hz hum! Magnets must have cost a fortune then, predating cheap ceramic magnets.

No comments:

Post a Comment